Drawing and coloring are no longer activities reserved just for children.
Adults of all ages have recently begun immersing themselves in this long-forgotten pastime, rediscovering hours of creative fun and relaxation. You too can awaken your artistic flair by investing in supplies like colored supplies that will help you create beautiful and meaningful works of art. Choose the colored pencil set that is perfect for your drawing and coloring needs by learning what ones stand out as the best colored pencils among skilled and novice artists alike.
Table of Contents
The Top 10 Best Colored Pencils Set Comparison
|Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils||132 count||Yes||Yes|
|Crayola 50-Count Colored Pencil Set||50 count||Yes||No|
|Sargent Art Premium 50-Count Colored Pencils||50 count||Yes||No|
|Ohuhu 48-Count Drawing and Colored Pencils||48 count||Yes||No|
|Everyday Essentials 72-Count Colored Pencils||72 count||No||Yes|
|Artist’s Choice 120-Count Colored Pencil Set||120 count||Yes||Yes|
|Positive Art 60-Count Colored Pencil Set||60 count||Yes||Yes|
|Arteza 48-Count Colored Pencil Set|
|Immersive 50-Count Colored Pencils||50 count||Yes||Yes|
|Artilicious Premium 50-Count Colored Pencils||50 count||Yes||No|
The Top 10 Best Colored Pencil Reviews
1. Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils, 132-count
The Prismacolor Premier soft core 132-count colored pencil set offers you dozens of different hues that help you unleash your creativity. These pencils feature thick yet soft cores that are perfect for shading and shadowing. They also are ultra-smooth so that you get an even layout of color each time you use them.
The pencil lead itself is sturdy and resistant to cracks so that you can use them longer without having to sharpen them. They are light, easy to use, and designed to fit comfortably in your hand. They also are water soluble, allowing the color to come out of clothing and fabrics easily in case you accidentally mark yourself, a tablecloth, carpeting, or any other fabric at home or work.
- Dozens of different colors from which to choose
- Durable, crack-proof lead
- Lightweight and easy to use fit
- Shaft around pencils prone to cracking
- Poor color coordination in the set
- Pricier than other color pencil sets for sale today
2. Crayola 50-Count Colored Pencil Set
Crayola is a household name that is commonly associated with the finest of art and drawing supplies. This brand’s 50-count colored pencil set does not disappoint with its array of brightly colored pre-sharpened pencils. This set is well-suited for home and professional use and is priced affordably to fit any artist’s budget.
The set is also made from reforested wood, which appeals to the environmentally conscientious who want to avoid using products that put a strain on the earth’s natural resources. The set is small enough to fit easily within a purse or book bag. It also features soft lead that is resistant to cracking and breaking.
- Priced affordably
- Assortment of bright colors
- Made from reforested wood
- Housed in a flimsy box that is easily damaged
- Soft lead needs frequent sharpening
- Limited color variety compared to other colored pencil sets
3. Sargent Art Premium 50-Count Colored Pencils (Amazon.com Best Seller)
Sargent Art premium 50-count colored pencils are an online best seller because of their price, wide range of colors, and exceptional quality. This set features 3.3. millimeter thick lead and 50 different shades of hues to let you create the perfect work of art each time.
The set is also AP certified, setting it apart from its major competition from brands like Crayola. The pre-sharpened pencils are seven inches in length and designed for easy and comfortable coloring, drawing, and shading.
- Moderately priced
- Suited for users ages 3 and up
- Thick lead in the pencils
- Waxy coat on the pencil lead
- Pencils leave residue on the paper
- Pencils draw too much like crayons than colored pencils
4. Ohuhu 48-Count Drawing and Colored Pencils
The Ohuhu 48-count drawing and colored pencils are some of the best colored pencils for people who are fans of the adult coloring book craze. These pencils feature fine points that are ideal for coloring inside the intricate lines and swirls found in adult coloring books today.
The set also comes housed in a whimsical yet practical circular carrying container that lets you pack the set easily into your book bag or purse. The pencils come pre-sharpened while the set itself has 50 different colors from which to choose each time you use it.
- Pencils are housed in a lightweight, easy-to-carry circular case
- 50 different colors in each set
- Pre-sharpened pencils allow for immediate use
- Soft lead requires frequent sharpening
- The lead is prone to breaking while you color
- The slender pencils pose a choking hazard to small children
5. Everyday Essentials 72-Count Colored Pencils
Everyday Essentials is a unique colored pencil set in that it comes with its own canvas pouch pen bag and also a two warranty that guards against manufacturer’s defects and damages. This set features a rich variety of soft core colored pencils that are perfect for drawing, writing, shading, shadowing, and sketching. The pencils likewise come with durable shafts that resist cracking and breaking while you use them.
Another unique features of this set is that the pencils are individually numbered so that you can identify and select them easily. You no longer have to search for the right color name in your set or choose a color at random without knowing if the hue will match the colors already on the page. This set is designed to make coloring more fun and relaxing.
- Diverse range of colors
- Free pencil bag with the set
- Individual numbering on the pencils for easy identification and selection
- Chemical odor with the pencil bag
- The pencils are not pre-sharpened
- Soft lead may require frequent sharpening
6. Artist’s Choice 120-Count Colored Pencil Set
The Artist’s Choice 120-count colored pencil set gets its name from the fact that it was designed by artists for artists of all skill levels. This set comes with 120 different richly colored pencils that are created for easy use and a comfortable fit in your hand.
The set also comes in its own collapsible case so you can take it anywhere with you easily. The set is backed by a limited manufacturer’s warranty that gives you 100 percent guaranteed satisfaction. You can use this set for at-home artistic projects or for coloring in adult coloring books. You can also take it to work for projects and presentations.
- Diverse range of colors
- Designed by professional artists
- Comes with a collapsible carrying case
- Soft pencil lead needs frequent sharpening
- Lack of numbering or naming of pencils and hues
- Higher priced than other colored pencil sets on the market
7. Positive Art 60-Count Colored Pencil Set
Positive Art’s 60-count colored pencil set is perfect for coloring as well as drawing, writing, sketching, and other crafts. This set comes with a range of vibrant colors. The pencils themselves feature thick 3.3 millimeter lead that is resistant to cracking and breaking.
The Positive Art colored pencil set also features fade-resistant technology that keeps the colors bright and rich on your page for longer. This set is ideal for both children and adults and comes at a price that many find easy to fit in their budgets.
- Thick pencil lead resists breaking, making the pencils last longer
- Wide range of bright colors
- Perfect for children and artists of all skill levels
- Flimsy box offers little protection from damage
- Advertised colors do not correlate with actual shade of color when pencils are used
- Few darker colors like brown and black
8. Arteza 48-Count Colored Pencil Set (Editor’s Choice)
The Arteza 48-count colored pencil set is an Amazon Editor’s Choice for its innovative and eco-friendly design as well as its affordable price and wide variety of colors. The set comes with its own environmentally friendly carrying case that is made out of cardboard. The pencils themselves are made out of lightweight and durable basswood so they are easy to use and comfortable to handle.
The unique factor about these pencils is that they are triangular shaped, making them ideal for children to color with at home or in school. The triangular shape allows for an even application of color and encourages proper pencil grip while you use them.
- Comes with its own eco-friendly carrying case
- Pencils made from durable basswood
- Triangular shaped for ergonomics and enhanced grip
- Faint colors left on the page
- Difficult to sharpen because of the shape of the pencils
- Pricier than other colored pencils sets available today
9. Immersive 50-Count Colored Pencils
The Immersive 50-count colored pencil set comes at a low price that puts it on the same level as sets offered by better known brands like Crayola. This set feature pencils that have soft lead and strong cores, allowing for prolonged use and an even application of color.
The set also lacks duplicate colors, meaning that each pencil is unique. The set is designed for children as well as adults who have become fans of the adult coloring book craze.
- Low price
- Designed for artists of all ages and skill levels
- No duplicate colors
- Flimsy carrying case
- Pencils come unsharpened
- Soft lead requires frequent sharpening
10. Artilicious Premium 50-Count Colored Pencils
The Artilicious Premium 50-count colored pencil set is another Amazon Best Seller for its price and quality. This set comes with 50 vibrantly colored pencils that are unique unto themselves. The set does not have duplicate colors in it.
The set also is made from non-rain forest harvested wood that is eco-friendly and durable. The thick leads on the pencils resists cracking and splitting, allowing them to last longer.
- No duplicate colors in the set
- Eco-friendly construction
- Lead is resistant to cracking and splitting
- No durable carrying case
- Faint colors when applied to the page
- Colors are not water soluble
How to Choose the Best Colored Pencils
Aside from the online colored pencil reviews available online, you may wonder what other criteria to keep in mind when shopping for one of these sets. You can find a set that matches your artistic needs by remembering these important factors.
As you can see, the market offers many different types of colored pencil sets. When you shop for one for yourself, you may choose types like:
- Starter sets: Starter sets typically contain fewer than 50 pencils and are lower in price. They also are typically housed in cardboard boxes rather than complementary sturdy carrying cases.
- Professional sets: Professional sets are designed for serious artists and art students. These sets may contain upwards of 100 or more different colors and pencils. They also tend to be higher in price.
- Pre-sharpened sets: Pre-sharpened sets are popular because you can use them straight out of the box. Some of these sets also have their own sharpeners for convenient use.
- Ergonomic sets: Ergonomic sets are popular with people who may suffer from arthritis or people who want to teach their children proper pencil grip. These pencils are often triangular shaped and apply a flatter color to the page when you use them.
These four examples are the most common pencil set types available today. They also are designed for easy use and enhancement of your artistic enjoyment.
Colored pencils sets also come in a variety of price ranges. As noted, professional sets typically are more expensive than those made for children or for novice artists.
However, some of the lower priced starter sets are on par with the quality and application of professional sets. The higher price tag does not guarantee better quality in many cases. It only means that the set contains more colors and pencils.
The softness of the lead is another factor to think about when shopping for a colored pencil set. Softer lead pencils often need more frequent sharpening. The softer lead is typically ideal for sketching, shading, and shadowing rather than applying darker hues.
Harder leads, on the other hand, can be used for multiple uses including writing and drawing outlines. Harder lead sets most often do not come pre-sharpened. You also may need to buy a separate sharpener designed for harder pencil lead.
Finally, when shopping for a colored pencil set, you may think about how many pencils you actually want and need for your artistic endeavors. You can find sets that contain dozens or even hundreds of pencils.
Likewise, you can find sets that contain just a dozen or fewer pencils. Before you shop, you may think about how many colored pencils you actually need. This decision helps you find a set that will give you your money’s worth when it comes to use.
These criteria play a role in finding the ideal colored pencil set. Based on these details and the colored pencil reviews, you can find a set that matches your artistic needs and budget.