For anyone who owns a motorcycle, you know how important it is to maintain your bike and keep it smoothly running. One of the most important aspects of a motorcycle is its battery. However, if it goes dead, knowing what brand and make you should replace it with can be difficult.
Today we will be going over how to choose the best motorcycle battery on the market, and answer these questions: What makes them great? Which ones come already wet? What should I be looking for in a motorcycle battery?
Table of Contents
- Comparison Table
- The Top Rated Products in 2017
- YTX12-BS – Best Corrosion Free Battery
- Yuasa YUAM620BH YTX20HL-BS – Best Overall Battery
- MX30L – Motorcycle Battery – 600+ CCA – Best OEM Compatible Battery
- ACDelco ATX20LBS Specialty AGM Powersports JIS 20L-BS – Best Spill Proof Battery
- YTX5L-BS High Performance – Maintenance Free – Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery – Best Heavy Duty Terminals
- YTX30L-BS High Performance Power Sports – Best Vibration Free Battery
- YTX4L-BS 4L-BS Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V – 120 CCA Motorcycle Scooter ATV Powersports – Best Pollution Free Battery
- UPG UB14A-A2 – OEM YB14A-A2 – Motorcycle Battery –Best Budget Friendly Option
- Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports – Best Lightweight Battery
- HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery – Best AGM Battery
- Editor’s Choice
- Buyer’s Guide – Everything that You Need to Know
|YTX12-BS High Performance – Maintenance Free – Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery|
|5.9 x 3.4 x 5.1 inches||12 Volt||10AH||Check Best Price|
|Yuasa YUAM620BH YTX20HL-BS|
|9 x 7.8 x 6 inches||12 Volt||18AH||Check Best Price|
|MX30L – Motorcycle Battery – 600+ CCA|
|6 x 5 x 6 inches||12 Volt||30AH||Check Best Price|
|ACDelco ATX20LBS Specialty AGM Powersports JIS 20L-BS|
|8.9 x 7.3 x 6.8 inches||12 Volt||12AH||Check Best Price|
|YTX5L-BS High Performance – Maintenance Free – Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery|
|4.5 x 2.8 x 4.1 inches||12 Volt||4AH||Check Best Price|
|YTX30L-BS High Performance Power Sports||6.5 x 5 x 6.9 inches||12 Volt||30AH||Check Best Price|
|YTX4L-BS 4L-BS Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V – 120 CCA Motorcycle Scooter ATV Powersports|
|4.5 x 3.3 x 2.8 inches||12 Volt||4 AH||Check Best Price|
|UPG UB14A-A2 – OEM YB14A-A2||5.5 x 3.5 x 7 inches||12 Volt||14AH||Check Best Price|
|Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports|
|2.3 x 4.5 x 3.5 inches||12 Volt||7AH||Check Best Price|
|HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery|
|6.5 x 5.3 x 6.7 inches||12 Volt||28AH||Check Best Price|
The Top Rated Products in 2017
YTX12-BS – Best Corrosion Free Battery
The first model of our motorcycle battery reviews we will be looking at was developed by the Chrome Battery company. The YTX12-BS High-Performance Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery is a very affordable option when looking to replace or install a new one inside your motorcycle.
But with any cheap battery, does it sacrifice quality because of its cheap price? Or does it offer incredible features to benefit your motorcycle for a long period of time?
- Chrome battery
- Measures 5.1” by 5.91” by 3.43”
- Maintenance free
- Comes fully charged
- Sealed lead acid battery
- AGM design
- No leakage or corrosion
- 60-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied
- 18-month warranty (with exceptions)
- Weighs 7.5 pounds
- Resistant to vibrations
- Improved performance for a long time
Yuasa YUAM620BH YTX20HL-BS – Best Overall Battery
Up next is an averagely priced battery built to keep your motorcycle running smooth and for long periods of time. This one is called the Yuasa YUAM620BH YTX20HL-BS, developed by the Yuasa company. While this one is competitively priced, we should look at how it competes with the others in its category. We can assure you there is a great reason why it has been included in the review as one of the best motorcycle batteries on the market today.
- 12 volts
- 18-amp hour
- Comes with cranking amps that are 310 cold
- Sealed completely and won’t spill
- All acid gets stored in the special plates
- Do not need to add water
- State-of-the-art calcium technology
- Supplied dry with an acid bottle
- High performance
- Measures 9” by 7.8” by 6”
- Weighs 13 lbs.
MX30L – Motorcycle Battery – 600+ CCA – Best OEM Compatible Battery
Developed by “ThrottleXBatteries,” the MX30L – Motorcycle Battery is an inexpensive option. When we have a cheap battery, we want to make sure that it will still last you a while. So how does this certain type hold up and is it worth it at the end of the day?
- Chrome battery
- Maintenance free
- Comes completely charged
- Sealed led acid
- The design prevents and leaking or corrosion
- Comes with a 60-day money back if you don’t like it
- 18-month warranty with exceptions
- Absorbed glass mat technology
- Lead calcium alloy
- OEM compatible
ACDelco ATX20LBS Specialty AGM Powersports JIS 20L-BS – Best Spill Proof Battery
Though not one of the cheapest models, the ACDelco ATX20LBS Powersports JIS 20L-BS is competitively priced. Manufactured by the ACDelcoCompany, this one comes with a lot of design features to enhance the lifetime of your battery, and make sure your motorcycle is constantly running smoothly.
- Shipped dry, comes with acid pack to fill when you get it
- Lasts a long time
- Comes with easy to use acid bottle to put correct amount of acid in
- Designed with an absorbed glass mat
- Spillproof, no water will be lost
- Must install vent caps, then will be sealed and maintenance free
- No liquid required when sealed
- Weighs 13.9 lbs.
- Measures 8.9” by 7.3” by 6.8”
- Must be charged with 12 volts before installing
YTX5L-BS High Performance – Maintenance Free – Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery – Best Heavy Duty Terminals
Again, this is another great product made by the fantastic company, “Chrome Battery.” They have a few batteries on this list for a reason: They make great products. The YTX5L-BS is one of the cheapest batteries that they make. So, with it being so cheap, does it hold up? Will it last for as long as you need it to?
- Zero spills and will not leak
- Built with AGM separators throughout the design
- Terminal is heavy duty
- Resistant to strong vibrations
- Lifecycle has been improved for longevity
- Comes fully filled, sealed, and charged
- Considered in a line of high-performance batteries
- Constructed with lead calcium alloy
- Uses absorbed glass mat technology
- Fully maintenance free
- Volts is 12
- 4 amps
- 48 watts
- Weighs 4 lbs.
YTX30L-BS High Performance Power Sports – Best Vibration Free Battery
Developed by Pirate Battery, the YTX30L-BS has been produced to give your motorcycle the juice it needs to run smoothly. It is averagely priced, and competitive with the rest of the models. But does it offer anything new we haven’t seen before, and how does it compare?
- Measures 6.89” by 6.54” by 4.96” (H x L x W)
- Never needs any maintenance, comes full charged
- Sealed lead acid battery
- Designed with AGM, no leaks or corrosion
- Comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee
- 12 volts
- 360 watts
- weighs 10.7 lbs.
- Resistant to vibrations
YTX4L-BS 4L-BS Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V – 120 CCA Motorcycle Scooter ATV Powersports – Best Pollution Free Battery
The YTX4L-BS 4L-BS Lithium Ion Sealed Battery 12V comes developed by MMG and is here to provide you with a lighter battery. Anyone who owns a motorcycle knows how crucial it is to find one that not only fits your bike, but does not add that much weight. This is what this model sets out to do, but how does it work? Does it hold up when compared to heavier batteries?
- Takes up less space and is lighter, 1/3 of the normal size
- No maintenance for at least a year
- Charges fast
- More than 2,000 cycles
- Does not cause pollution
- No acid metals such as lead, cadmium, or mercury
- Weighs only 1.1 pounds
- Measures 4.5” by 3.3” by 2.8”
- 6-month replacement warranty
- Comes fully activated and fully charged
- No spills ever because no acid
- Charge indicator light shows how much charge is left
UPG UB14A-A2 – OEM YB14A-A2 – Motorcycle Battery –Best Budget Friendly Option
- 12 volts
- 14 Ah capacity
- 1-year warranty
- Lead acid wet pack
- Measures 5.5” by 3.5” by 7”
- 5 lbs.
Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports – Best Lightweight Battery
This battery is designed and marketed as being ultra-light. The only one in our review from the Shorai Company, the Shorai LFX09L2-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports, is one of the priciest batteries, even though it is still very affordable. So, with it being so light, does it still work as good as the heavier models? Should you even consider buying it?
- Very light, 1/5 of the weight of the average batteries (lead based) on the market
- Very safe, no explosive gases
- Can crank faster than most
- Discharge and dispose
- Recharges very fast
- Weighs 1.3 lbs.
- Measures 2.3” by 4.5” by 3.5”
- Type 2 battery
HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery – Best AGM Battery
The final product today is also one of the only batteries that is fully made in America. This is a great sign even starting out. However, it is also one of the most expensive batteries. The HDX30L – Harley Davidson Replacement Motorcycle Battery has been built by ThrottleX Batteries. So, with its high price tag, is there a reason it is more expensive? Does it offer more features than others?
- Fits all Harley Models from 1997-2016
- Made entirely in the USA
- Maintenance free
- Comes fully charged and ready to install
- Even though it is a replacement, has same quality as original
- Weighs 23 lbs.
- Comes built with AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology that makes it not spill at all
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 18-month replacement warranty
- Really hard lead female threaded terminal
- Comes with bolts that are stainless steel
Editor’s Budget Choice – YTX5L-BS
If you have budgeted a certain amount and you are in need of a good quality battery, the YTX5L-BS is a good option.
Editor’s Overall Choice – Yuasa YUAM620BH YTX20HL-BS
If you are in need of a high-quality battery that is able to last three times longer than most batteries, the Yuasa YUAM620BH YTX20HL-BS wins’ hands down. This is one 12 V battery that won’t disappoint!
Editor’s Best Features Choice – MX30L – Motorcycle Battery – 600+ CCA
Last but not the least, we would highly recommend the MX30L if you are looking for a very affordable model that comes with amazing features. This maintenance-free battery will not let you down.
Buyer’s Guide – Everything that You Need to Know
First and foremost, when looking for a new motorcycle battery you have to find one that will fit your bike and is compatible with your bike. Certain batteries only work with certain brands. This will help narrow down your search and help you find the one that works best for you.
You also want to find one that comes with the latest technology to avoid any spillage whatsoever. A faulty one has the potential to actually destroy your bike so this is very important. Find one from a reliable company that has the technology required to avoid spillage.
Wet or Dry?
Now some batteries come dry, where you have to add the acid yourself and also seal it yourself, while others come all set, fully charged, and ready to go. Find out what will work best for you, as some people don’t want anything to do with filling their battery with additional acid.
At the end of the day, you simply want a battery that first off works and that will also last you a long time. Find one with the longest battery life you can, and even if it is pricier at first than most models on the market it will be worth it in the long run!
We have created this list after doing an extensive research in order to help you in finding the best motorcycle battery of your choice that also meets each or most of your requirements. As you must know, there are lots of different manufacturers in the business today that offer many products with various features. With so many choices available in the market today, it can be a challenge to choose and pick one product that meets all your needs.
When you are looking for the perfect battery for your precious motorcycle, you need to consider a lot of aspects before you buy a certain product. These features include but are not limited to, the compatibility with your motorcycle, durability, size, maintenance, and price. We included all these aspects when we conducted our research and came up with these models. However, we strongly suggest that you do your own research before making a decision because only you know your requirements best.
All these mentioned batteries are worthy of your attention and come with their own advantages and disadvantages and it is completely up to you as to which product you decide to buy.
We hope you will be able to find the best motorcycle battery that suits your need. Please do let us know which one is your favorite by leaving a comment below, thanks!